I have been absent for a while so not as much progress as I had intended but other life matters have had to take priority (moving home)…

Yes it looks like the Cob will not be getting completed in this garage. the new garage is already underway and will be the home for the final stages of completion but I basically decided to concentrate on the house move and slow down the car build…. a little.

Not that I haven’t done anything – I now have the windscreen on – boy was that a task – changing it to black is no small task but it had to be done… Oh and you may notice I’ve fitted the headlights. unconventional I know but hey I like them. and the halo changes from daylight running halo to flashing amber when the indicator is on – ill post a video if anyone is interested. – I had a friend check them for legality with his MOT equipment and they passed, so should be good for IVA – just as well since the wiring of these headlights was rather more involved than I had anticipated (thanks here to my electrical genius friend Chris :)) and hence they would not have been an easy swap over if I needed to change to conventional lights for IVA. So now my rolling car is much more like a car, pleased to say the electric power steering makes it a delight to move around the workshop and on and off the ramp.

hopefully ill get some pictures of the new garage up soon (Cobs new home) – I’m presently debating weather or not to take my 4 post lift or have a new 2 post lift.

I prefer the 4 post for storage (and its obviously better for this type of car) but in general Ithink the two post option is far superior for working on…

getting ready for screen

Final shot before windscreen goes on tomorrow and should start looking more like a car. I have removed the wheel rimbands but will probably still have a pinstripe on the wheels. Once the screens on ill put the car on the lift and fit the exhaust and fuel tank. Still waiting for my gauges ordered back in  November so beware they are on a long lead time! Once I have the gauges and senders I’m about ready to fire up the engine…..




Roll Bars

This was not nearly as easy as I was expecting, I found it extremely challenging to get the alignment perfect – I used a combination of plumb bobs and laser lines – got there in the end, although it did take me quite some time! One slightly useful thing I found was when using the plumb bob technique to plumb up from the chassis points, it is not easy to be extremely accurate at the first attempt so just get as near as you can to plumb then drill a very small hole – from there I used a split pin to hold the plumb bob string into this hole and then made small adjustments until I was sure the small hole was directly above the chassis fixing point.

Steering finished

Finalised power steering The picture above left shows the ecu for steering. this comes bolted to the column but has to be removed and fitted elsewhere. I have tucked it up above the pedal box on the outer footwell panel but this meant that the short loom back to the column torque sensor had to be extended. The picture on the right shows the speed control unit – this little box is connected to an independent speed sensor located at the diff UJ and effectively controls the maps for speed sensitive power steering assistance variation I will be able to fine tune this once the car is moving. As a side note I am also working with Dave at Canems to hopefully make this box redundant since a modification to the canems ecu allowing it to collect speed input data is eventually going to enable direct control of the power steering maps and the tremec reverse lock out solenoid.

Power Steering Column Fixed to Body

I have bolted the power steering column end to the body with a simple u clamp type arrangement this has a fairly substantial backing plate on the underside. The  blue tape is the position for my bonnet lock down keep brackets.

Finally fitted the ujs and shafts down to the steering rack and was able to power up the unit – very pleased the steering feels excellent very smooth and silent whilst in powered mode!



Chrome or No Chrome!


That’s it no going back – everything is stripped down to the bare bones ready to be de-chromed and turned into Satin Black… Ill have it all back before the Xmas break so this will give me lots to get on with in-between turkey and alcohol!

Already purchased my bullet style side mirrors and these are already in black, Ill post more pictures of everything in black Marine quality Powder coat once I get it all together again.

I also took the tyres off again to remove the red rimbands – decided they look naff!